Saturday, July 9, 2016

Thursday at Panera


First Encounters: Comfortably informal, our meeting began with food for me and my hungry daughter along with get to know you chit chats. It's warm here in not so sunny Ohio, and we've begun our studies on the second week of our six together.  

We discussed some of the many social medias,of which YouTube is one... did I know that? It's how Justin Beiber came to fame... pretty neat. His latest stuff is rather impressive, btw. I'm even more impressed by Courtney's taste in music: classic rock and the such. (Doobie Brothers next week?... just putting it out there.)

We also looked at blogs. I was floored to learn folks can ditch their day jobs for what advertisement companies are paying for big blog hits. I plan to read a variety of these... and blog again.

Besides all that- I learned there is much I do not know, which happens when one steps away from the technological arena and concentrates on silly things such as health, happiness and children (did I mention I have five? -they never really leave you know.)

"If you're not moving forward you're falling behind."  -Ken Steiginga, CNE

I've heard that since my first Windows update decades ago. So I appreciate the new and innovative technology- and am amazed how its change our culture and our world, (the pros and cons being equally and profoundly relevant.)

So... my plan is to get LinkedIn, i.e. become professionally vulnerable... and then get on Twitter and actually tweet, probably just to my kids. I also Snapchat them and my bff in Michigan. I need Facebook because I'm so far from my hometown, and Jersey people are, honestly, just way cooler. I did set up and use Instagram and Facebook for Ms. S's Math Class this year- so I'm not a complete dweeb when it comes to this stuff... as if my Y-town kids could've given two shytes.

I am hoping our class enlightens the road I'm traveling towards!  I do so delight in communicating and sharing knowledge- something social media allows us all to do with our phones any time, whether within a classroom or without. And I see life leading me back to my non-traditional schooling roots, and the desire to facilitate the learning that exists safely and freely without subjection to state guidelines, institutions,  bureaucracies... and similar ignoramuses. It's always been one of my purest and most satisfying passions.

I hope this isn't too long- I do love a captive audience, an audience of zero at the time of this writing...


No comments:

Post a Comment